Monday, July 21, 2014

Overpowered Cantrips

I know we haven't seen the monster's yet, but based on what I've seen for weapon damage vs spell damage, Wizard cantrips do to much damage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those horrible new-fangled players that like the idea of at-will cantrips, even ones that allow a wizard to damage from range without it being a sling. I allow sling damage do be done by Swords & Wizardry Magic-Users as a raw bolt of magic that they have to roll to hit with that doesn't use a spell slot. It works for me.

My issue is that it seems like a wizard's cantrips might out damage some fighters. Even if it doesn't, its closer than I would like. I think that if a wizard wants to do "real" damage with magic, it should be with spells that require spell slots.

I've reduced the three cantrip spells that deal damage by one die step (1d10 to 1d8, and the two 1d8s to 1d6s) and removed their ability to increase damage based on the caster level. They're the only spells that do that in the game so far. To be honest, I think they should be reduced another step, but I don't know what the damage balance needs to be. This works for me as it brings the straight damaging cantrip in line with longsword damage.

I've read in the comments of another blog I read (can't remember which one) that they thought that Mage Hand and Light should be concentration spells as well. I personally can't really decide one way or the other on this one, but lean towards leaving those as is. Gandalf didn't really seem to need to concentrate to keep the light on the rock he placed in the end of his staff (I know he would be higher than level one and could have a special version of the spell and blah, blah, blah). If Mage Hand starts to be abused, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment